Sunday, July 19, 2015

I Walk the (High) Line

Right at the intersection of Gansevoort and Washington Streets in the Meatpacking District is the entrance to a little garden oasis in the city called the High Line. It's a 1.45 mile-long exceptionally-designed park built on an elevated section of what was once the West Side Line of the New York Central Railroad. 

I first saw this incredible urban jungle when I visited New York in December of 2013. It wasn't as alive then as it is in the spring and summer, and not all sections of the park were completed at that time, but I was amazed by the unique and innovative design that turned the once unused and overgrown railway into a beautiful space that millions of people can enjoy year-round. 

I walked another section of it with my sister when she visited in June, but had still not seen the High Line in its entirety, so one day when I found myself wandering around the Meatpacking District, I decided to climb the stairs and make the walk all the way up to the other end of the park at 34th Street and 11th Avenue. 

In addition to the gorgeous greenery and fabulous flowers you encounter along the way mixed with fantastic views of Manhattan, there are also plenty of instances of public art scattered about in the form of murals and sculptures, although the park in itself can be considered as one giant work of art as well. It's all so photographable, so I tried to narrow down some of my favorites to share with you. Hope you enjoy!























No comments:

Post a Comment