Thursday, January 1, 2015

iPhone Moments of 2014: First Half

I'm definitely not a person who is always on my phone. I use it to make phone calls, to text, to use Google Maps if I get myself really, really lost somewhere, and sometimes to take pictures. Actually, one of my greatest accomplishments is that I'm still running iOS 6.1 on it, and refuse to update the software unless I get to a point where I absolutely have to. Sometimes I'm just stubborn like that.

I'm not constantly on Facebook, or Instagram, and I don't even spend as much time on Pinterest as I used to. I don't feel like I need to share everything I'm doing or thinking constantly... Goodmorning, Facebook! I'm brushing my teeth right now! or, Hey Instagram, check out my amazing lunch at this super-cool restaurant #OMG #sogood... But I will share things from time to time that I feel are worthwhile. Which is why I started this blog.

So in the spirit of this being the time when everyone reflects on what they saw/did/accomplished over the past year, I was going through the photos I took on my phone... a majority of which feature my cat, Harley (but I'll spare you most of those)... and thought maybe I'd do a little recap of a few of my favorite phone files.

January

My dear friend Alexandra and I chatted online a lot at the beginning of the year about some of the hardships life can deal one's way. We're both very similar in our ways of thinking about things, and oftentimes when I can't find the right words to put a thought together, she manages to say the most perfect and relevant things; it's quite extraordinary. She's also an avid reader, and has so many amazing literary passages memorized. When I was having a particularly bad day, she pulled this quote out of her pocket, from one of her favorite books, Evening, by Susan Minot.
My mom and I went to see Chicago at the Cleveland Playhouse Theater. She got me into musicals at a very young age, and ever since, seeing musical productions has been one of our favorite things to do together. (Chicago is one of our most-loved.)
The next January moment took place at a conference for work that happens at the same time every year. When the event was over, my coworkers and I decided to "celebrate" with several alcoholic bevvies, including pineapple upside down shots and Washington apple shots. Wasn't there also a buttery nipple thrown in there for good measure?
February

My bro Jeff & I worked together to construct a lengthy timelapse video of that previously mentioned conference, using 2 DSLR cameras and 5 GoPros. When we were back in the office and I began looking through the footage, I accidentally stumbled upon this brilliant and unintentional selfie.
OK so ONE cat photo... He is my best cuddle buddy, especially on cold winter nights where we find ourselves snuggled on the couch, wrapped up in a warm blanket. When he's not biting my ankles or digging his needle-like claws into my arms, he's a big fluffy sweetie, and I just love him to pieces.
Four of my best girlfriends and I have had a longstanding date on Valentine's Day every year. For 2014, we got especially fancy and treated ourselves to dinner at Gervasi Vineyard, and I wore this fabulous shirt/tie/blazer combo with a then-new pocket square. I don't often spend $75 on dinner for myself, but sometimes you have to treat yourself like fabulous queen you are.
March

My birthday is on the 4th, and this year just happened to be #30... So my mom and I drove down to Asheville, NC, to meet my sister, and the three of us girls stayed in the cutest little cabin and had ourselves a great time. My sister also treated me to a day at the fabulous Grove Park Inn Spa, where we all lounged in pools, steam rooms & saunas, and I got my first-ever massage.
Also for my birthday, I got a special delivery from New York: Half a dozen Magnolia cupcakes from the most thoughtful gift-giver I know (she knows who she is).
I had never played "beer pong" until this past year at my bro Jeff's house for his famous (infamous?) St. Patrick's day party. Since he knows I don't care much for beer, we even played with Angry Orchard. I heart him.
April

One of my boyfriends also turned 30, and his wife threw a very impressive surprise birthday party at their home in Cleveland. Since he didn't know he'd be going to his own party later, complete with family visiting from out of town, he showed up super-drunk and ended up being the star of the party in more ways than one.
I started looking for apartments in Cleveland, pretty sure that's where I was wanting to move at that point. I had a couple of job interviews that month, but of course nothing panned out... and now I know it's because I was supposed to be going down another path.
I'm Crazy Aunt Jean to a number of my friends' children, and it's a role I very much enjoy. I always beg my friend Rebecca to let me babysit her adorably rambunctious daughter, Ana, and we always have the best time hanging out together. Unless one of us is being a brat.
May

In May, my darling friend Audra turned 30 and had a Kentucky Derby-themed party at a wine bar in Columbus. In addition to fancy dresses, big hats and good wine, the evening also included midnight bowling and a late-night stop into McDonald's to satisfy a McFlurry craving (not mine).
My good friend Erin (who also turned 30 this year), welcomed her third baby to the world, Grady. He currently resides with his two older and extremely sassy sisters, and they all make up just about the cutest little family you ever did see.
Once the warm weather kicked in, margarita happy hours started up after work. Pictured below are Tyler and Yessica, two divas who provided all sorts of entertainment this year both inside and outside of the office.
June

I love the beginning of summer... wearing shorts and t-shirts, driving in the evenings with my car windows down, sipping on iced lattes on warm, sunny afternoons, and going to cookouts with good friends. In the picture below are the ingredients that made some killer s'mores on the first Friday of June at a little girls' cookout with a couple of my best ladies. NOTE: nothing will ever beat dark chocolate and peanut butter smashed between two graham crackers with a giant, gooey marshmallow.
My mom and I went to see the Doobie Brothers, one of her favorite bands, at the Akron Civic Theater, one of our most-loved local venues. Unfortunately, her favorite member Michael McDonald wasn't in attendance, but she talked about what her life was like back when this group was popular, and listening to stories about my mom in her younger years is just about one of my favorite things.
The month ended on a "high" note (pun intended, keep reading) when I got to go on my first-ever helicopter ride to shoot aerial videography of the new Goodyear blimp. I'm actually terrified of heights, so I was quite nervous thinking about flying around with the doors off, strapped in by only a lap belt. But it was the most beautiful sunny and clear morning, and the warm wind that was blowing through my hair and across my face made me feel very much at ease. 

Stay tuned for the second installment... More work adventures, babysitting and probably another cat photo or ten. (My life is quite exciting, you know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment